Mike learned hard work as a teenager, spending weekends and summers working in the milk plant of West Valley City’s oldest business.
Mike met Granger High grad Karyn Hermansen, and they were married four days after both graduated from the University of Utah. Mike later earned an MBA from the U and a leadership certificate from Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.
As a historian, Mike is the author of 12 published books and was appointed by the Governor to two terms on the State History Board.
Mike served West Valley City for four years as Business Development Manager in the Economic Development Department, four years on the City Council, and four years as Mayor.
As a businessman, Mike was VP of Marketing for Winder Farms, founder of consulting firm Neptune Strategies & today is Director of Entrepreneurship Programs for Zions Bank. Utah Business named him as one of Utah’s “40 Rising Stars Under 40”.
A husband and father, Mike will fight for a brighter future for all of Utah, including his children Jessica, Michael, John and Grace.
Mike Winder: A Record of Impact as Mayor
- Helped turn around Valley Fair Mall, which now has #1 Olive Garden in North America & highest tech movie theater in the U.S.
- Began Fairbourne Station, a half-billion development in city’s center, including an Embassy Suites Hotel
- Saw crime drop 13% while mayor, less graffiti, helped replace police chief.
- “No Kill” Animal Shelter
- English Language Initiative
- Elected by peers as President of Utah League of Cities & Towns